NN 133-276 Argyllshire Scotland
Kilchurn Castle is a mid 15th century stone tower house and courtyard fortress, founded by Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy. Standing on a low peninsula that juts into Loch Awe, the rectangular tower house of four storeys and a garret probably had a small south-western barmkin. Defended by a ditch on the landward side, in the late 15th century Sir Duncan Campbell built the laich hall against the south curtain wall. In the mid 16th century, Sir Colin Campbell reconstructed the upper storey of the tower and added the 'north chalmeris' on the north-west side of the courtyard. In the early 17th century, the laich hall and kitchen were rebuilt to two storeys and a range of buildings comprising of two cellars, a loft and a chapel, were added on the south-east side of the courtyard. At the end of the 17th century, the curtain wall was flanked by cylindrical angle towers and the north-west side of the courtyard was remodelled and enlarged with purpose built four storey, barrack blocks. The abandoned castle was garrisoned by Hanoverian troops in 1745 and unroofed by 1775. 2 miles south-west in Loch Awe is Fraoch Eilean Castle.
Kilchurn Castle is located west of Dalmally, on Loch Awe off the A85. 22 miles north-east of Oban, on the A85.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and open daily April to September, the outside is freely accessible in daylight hours. There is a car park.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and open daily April to September, the outside is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a car park.