NM 883-345 Argyllshire Scotland
Dunstaffnage Castle is an early 13th century stone enclosure fortress, founded by Duncan MacDougall. Built on a promontory that overlooks Loch Etive and the Firth of Lorn, it guards the seaward approach to the Pass of Brander. Originally encased by a wide ditch, the roughly quadrangular enclosure took its shape from the outcrop of rock it stands on. In the mid 13th century Duncan's son, Ewen, flanked the north and west angles with three storey circular towers but of his east entrance tower only a small curved section remains. Besieged and captured by Robert the Bruce in 1309, he made the Campbells the keepers of this royal castle. In the late 15th century a new projecting gate, with a drawbridge structure replaced the earlier tower. The gatehouse of three storeys and a garret was built in the 16th century, with its entrance being altered in the 17th century. On the site of a late 16th century kitchen in the north-west range, is a free-standing dwelling house of two storey and an attic built in 1725. In 1746 Flora MacDonald was imprisoned in the castle after she helped Prince Charles Edward Stuart escape. 2 miles south-west is Dunollie Castle and 7 miles north-east is Barcaldine Castle.
Dunstaffnage Castle is located north of Dunbeg, off the A85. 3 miles north-east of Oban, on the A85.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is open daily, April to September 9:30-5:30pm, October 9:30-4:30pm, November to March Saturday to Wednesday 9:30-4:30pm.
There is a car park.