NM 749-353 Argyllshire Scotland
Duart Castle was originally a 13th century stone square enclosure fortress, founded by the MacDougall, lords of Lorn. Built on a rocky promontory, that juts out into the Sound of Mull, the original entrance gateway was probably in north-west wall. The lower north-west edge of the rock lay outside the enclosure and this possible additional court contained the castle well. In the mid 14th century Lachlan Lubanach utilized the court, when building a tower house of three storey and an attic, directly against and integral with the enclosure. In the mid 16th century, a south-east two storey range with four barrel-vaulted chambers and a first floor hall was built against the enclosure wall. In 1673 Sir Allan Maclean rebuilt the three storey north-east range, with a ground floor kitchen and residential rooms above. In 1674 the Macleans surrendered Duart to the Campbell Earls of Argyll, it was later used as a garrison for Hanovarian troops and then abandoned in 1751. Roofless and derelict, in 1911 Sir Fitzroy Maclean renovated and restored the castle back into a dwelling house. 16 miles north-west is Aros Castle.
Duart Castle is located on the Isle of Mull, north-east of Druimsornaig off the A849. By ferry from Oban and 8 miles south-east of Craignure, off the A849.
The site is owned by the Chief of the Clan Maclean and is open, Sunday to Thursday 11:00-4:00pm in April and daily, May to mid October 10:30-5:30pm, check website for details.
There is a car park.