NM 921-473 Argyllshire Scotland
Castle Stalker was possibly an early 14th century Fortalice, founded by the MacDougalls, lords of Lorn. Standing on a small island at the mouth of Loch Laich, in the mid 15th century the stone rectangular tower house, was founded by Sir John Stewart, lord of Lorn. Of three storeys and a garret, to the south and east are the fragmentary remains of the barmkin. There are two entrances and both are protected by machicolations at parapet level, the ground floor entrance in the south-east wall, leads to a barrel-vaulted basement of three cellars. Rising to the full height of the building, the turnpike stair in the north angle is crowned by a rectangular caphouse. The first floor entrance in the north-east wall leads to the hall and was originally reached by a timbered stair before the stone forestair was constructed. In 1631 Donald Campbell of Ardnamurchan remodelled the tower, which was garrisoned by Hanovarian troops in 1745. By 1840 the roofless the castle had been abandoned but from 1965-75 Lt. Col. D. R. Stewart Allward, renovated and restored the tower back into a dwelling house. 10 miles south is Barcaldine Castle.
Castle Stalker is located in Loch Laich, west of Portnacroish off the A828 and is approached by boat at high tide. 23 miles north of Oban, on the A83-A828.
The site is privately owned and is open for tours by prior appointment only, five weeks per year.
Car parking for tours is on the old railway track, by the boathouse. The site is visible from the Castle Stalker View Café.