NO 843-855 Kincardineshire Scotland
Fetteresso Castle is a 15th century stone courtyard castle, founded by the Keith, Earls Marischal. Originally built with eight slender tower and called a palace by Bishop Leslie in 1578, are two sides of a quadrangle with a courtyard. The long three storey block is probably 16th century and the similar eastern block was burnt by Montrose in 1645 and reconstructed by William, Earl Marischal in 1670-1. In a state of neglect in the 18th century, the Duffs altered and extended the castle in the construction of a mansion, the early 19th century. After being abandoned in the 20th century, the castle was renovated and restored back into dwelling houses. 4 miles south-east is Dunnottar Castle and 13 miles north-west is Crathes Castle.