NN 120-754 Inverness-shire Scotland
Inverlochy Castle is a late 13th century stone enclosure fortress, probably founded by John Comyn, Lord of Badenoch and Lochaber. Standing on the south bank of the Lochy, at the entrance to the Great Glen, a moat fed by the river encased the remaining sides of the quadrangular courtyard. Flanked by round towers on the angles, each tower contained a mural stair and the large Comyn's Tower on the north-west angle was the donjon. The principal southern plain pointed arch entrance and the northern watergate both had portcullises and one or two storey wooden lean-to buildings, stood against the inner walls. Robert the Bruce ousted the Comyns around 1308 and the castle appears to have been abandoned until King James IV granted it the Gordon Earls of Huntly in 1506. Lord Abinger restored loops and battlements in 1905 but the castle is remarkable for surviving largely unaltered since before the Wars of Independence. 22 miles north-east is Invergarry Castle.
Inverlochy Castle is located north-east of Fort William, off the A82. 13 miles north-east of Alston, on the A686.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours. Car parking is by the side of the road.
The site is owned by Historic Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.