HomePage Path
Scalloway Castle
HU 404-392 Shetland Scotland

Scalloway Castle Scalloway Castle is an early 17th century stone L-plan tower house, founded by Patrick Stewart, earl of Orkney and lord of Shetland. Standing on a peninsula in East Voe, the main block is of four storeys and a garret, with the smaller square wing being offset. On an angle of the wing is a large stair-turret, corbelled out above first-floor level and the other angles of the tower are crowned by bartizans. Earl Patrick who was notorious for his cruelty was executed in 1615, the castle was occupied by Cromwell's forces in the 1650s and abandoned by the end of the 17th century. 24 miles south at Jarlshof is Old House of Sumburgh.


Street Map

Scalloway Castle is located in the town centre, off Castle Street. 5 miles west of Lerwick, on the A970. For travel information go to Shetland.org.

The site is owned by Historic Scotland, for access details telephone 01856 841815.

There is a car park.


Large castle map
Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved