HomePage Path
Slains Castle Bowness
NK 102-361 Aberdeenshire Scotland

Slains Castle Tower of Bowness was an early 17th century stone tower and courtyard palace, founded by Francis Hay, 9th Earl of Errol. Standing against the sea cliff, the two storey courtyard palace was built after King James VI had Old Slains Castle destroyed in 1594. A corridor was added within the courtyard in 1664 and the palace was given a new entrance in the early 18th century. John Smith enlarged and rebuilt Slains in the Scottish Baronial style in 1836-7 and the Hays sold the castle in 1916. Abandoned in 1925 and now a roofless shell, to the south the base of the original tower still survives. Picture Neil Goodwin


Street Map

Slains Castle is located on the headland at Cruden Bay, off the B1345. 24 miles north-east of Aberdeen, on the A90-A975.

The site is freely accessible in daylight hours.

There is a car park.


Slains Castle pictures and large castle map
Slains Castle Picture 1Slains Castle Picture 2Slains Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved