Dooket Hill Auldearn
NH 917-556 Nairnshire Scotland
Dooket Hill is a mid 12th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by William the Lion. In the 1180s Gillecolm of Maddertie its constable, betrayed the royal castle of Eren to the forces of Donald MacWilliam, who then probably destroyed its fortifications. In 1308 the Earl of Ross submitted to Robert Bruce here and in 1645 before the Battle of Auldearn, the Marquis of Montrose raised the Royal Standard on the mound. The irregular embankment that crowns the large sub-circular flat-topped motte, may represent Civil War gun emplacements and a low rectangular south-eastern earthwork is possibly a royalist building platform. The housing estate to the east is the probable site of the bailey and a late 17th or early 18th century circular doocot, now crowns the motte. 2 north-west at Nairn is Constabulary Garden and 4 miles north-east at Dyke is Brodie Castle.
Dooket Hill is located in Auldearn, off Doocot Road. 2 miles south-east of
Nairn, on the A96-B9111.
The site is owned by The National Trust for Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours. Car parking is by the side of the road.
The site is owned by The National Trust for Scotland and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
Car parking is by the side of the road.