ND 158-282 Caithness Scotland
Dunbeath Castle was originally a mid 15th century stone tower house, founded by the Crichtons. Standing against the sea cliff and defended on the landward side by a deep ditch, by 1507 the castle had passed to the Innes family. In the early 17th century, the Sinclairs of Geanies absorbed the old tower, in the construction a four storey E-plan tower house, which was later enlarged by the addiction of 19th century ranges.
Dunbeath Castle is located north-east of Dunbeath Mains, off the A9. 22 miles south-west of Wick, on the A99-A9.
The site is private, with Dunbeath Castle Gardens open by appointment only. The castle is visible from Dunbeath harbour.
There is a car park nearby.