Castle of Mey Barrogill
ND 290-739 Caithness Scotland
Castle of Mey is a late 16th century stone Z-plan tower house, founded by George Sinclair, earl of Caithness. The main range is of three storeys, plus an attic and four storey square towers stand on opposite angles. Formerly known as Barrogill Castle and possibly on the site of an earlier building, it was bought and restored by the late Queen Mother in 1952. 12 miles south is Keiss Castle and 14 miles west is Thurso Castle.
Castle of Mey is located west of Barrogill, off the A836. 20 miles north of Wick, on the A99-A836.
The site is owned by The Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust, the Castle and Gardens are open daily, May to late July and mid August to September 10:20 until last admission 4:00pm. Coach and group visits can be arranged in season and by appointment, during April and October.
There is a car park.