Castle Hill Halton
SD 500-648 Lancashire England
Castle Hill is a late 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Roger de Poitou. The castle was then held by the Gernet family, from the 12th century until in 1290, when it became the possession of William Dacre, when he married Joan Gernet. In 1322, the manor house of Halton, was destroyed in a raid by King Robert the Bruce and the castle was then abandoned. Standing on high ground, against the steep slope formed by the valley of the Cote Beck, the motte was truncated by the construction of a 1939 lookout post and a later flagpole. The north-eastern crescent shaped bailey, has been damaged by ploughing but it still retains traces of its rampart and motte ditch. 3 miles south-west is Lancaster Castle and 7 miles north-east is Hornby Castle.
Castle Hill is located in Halton, off Foundry Lane. 3 miles north-east of Lancaster on the A683.
The site is visible from the road, check website for details.
Car parking is by the side of the road.