SD 226-739 Cumbria England
Dalton Castle is a rectangular mid 14th century stone three storey tower house, founded by the abbots of Furness. Built after the Scottish raids of 1315, it possibly stands on the site of an earlier courthouse and prison. The tower was in ruins by the 16th century and repairs were made after the Dissolution of the Monasteries, with materials from Furness Abbey. Remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries, when the top two storeys were made into one. Used as a prison and a courthouse, until 1856, the tower was re-roofed in 1907. 4 miles south-east is Gleaston Castle.
Dalton Castle is located in the village centre, off Market Place. 4 miles north of Barrow-in-Furness, on the A590.
The site is owned by The National Trust and is open Saturday, March to October 2:00-5:00pm.
There are car parks nearby.