SC 241-846 Isle of Man British Isles
Peel Castle was originally an 11th century Viking fort, founded by King Magnus Barelegs. In the early 14th century, the Church and the Lords of Mann, founded a remarkable stone enclosure fortress, encased by a rampart with a timber palisade. In the late 14th century, William le Scrope encased the castle with a curtain wall, flanked by square towers and the gatehouse of 1333. There are many ruins spread over the centuries, from the 11th century Round Tower and the Church of St Patrick's, to the later ranges of the Lords of Mann and the 16th century Henrician additions. Visit Pending. 12 miles south is Castle Rushen.
Peel Castle is located on St Patricks Isle, in Peel Bay. 10 miles north-west of Douglas, on the A1.
The site is owned by Manx National Heritage and is open daily, April, May, September and October 10:00-4:00pm, June to August 10:00-5:00pm.
There is a small car park nearby.