Castle Hill Levington
NZ 461-103 Cleveland England
Castle Hill is an early 12th century earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded by Robert de Brus. Commanding the end of a steep bluff formed by the River Leven, there is no signs of an attached bailey on the level plateau to the west. In 1158 after the Anarchy, in the reign of King Stephen, Adam de Brus was possibly forced to dismantle the castle. Acquired by Nicholas de Meynel in the late 13th century, a timber hall was built on the site, which was occupied until the end of the 14th century. Encasing the large inner platform, is an extremely strong circular earthen breastwork and a wide outer ditch extends from the north west to south east. Crossed by a southern causeway, the ditch swings out to enclose a narrow south-eastern crescent-shaped platform, which also gives protection the entrance from the level ground to the west. 4 miles north-west at Ingleby Barwick is Round Hill and 6 miles south is Whorlton Castle.
Castle Hill is located north-west of Middleton-on-Leven, off Weary Bank. 9 miles south of Middlesbrough, on the A19-A1045.
The site is visible from a public footpath, which passes the castle from Weary Bank.
Car parking is by the side of the road, at the bridge over the River Leven.