Millrigg Temple Sowerby
NY 608-284 Cumbria England
Millrigg was possibly a 15th century stone single storey longhouse or a later bastle. Now a two storey L-plan house, the gabled rear wing has an original two-light mullioned window below a panel dated 1597 for Henry and Ridget Birbeck. On the main entrance in the stair turret is a door lintel dated 1597 for John Dalston and above is a reset square panel, bearing the Dalton Coat of Arms dated 1669. In the late 18th or early 19th century the north-east range was extended to the east by two bays and in the 20th century a single storey lean-to was added to the west end. 4 miles west is Brougham Castle and 8 miles south-east is Appleby Castle.
Millrigg is located north of Temple Sowerby, off the B6412. 7 miles south-east of Penrith, on the A66-B6412.
The site is a private residence, with no public access and is only visible from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.