NY 512-299 Cumbria England
Penrith Castle was originally a stone tower house, with a courtyard encased by a wide ditch. In 1397 to 1399, William de Strickland founded the quadrangular castle, when he was granted licences to crenellate his chamber and mantlet. The Neville family, added the Red Tower early in the 15th century and from 1471, Richard, duke of Gloucester transformed the castle, by adding a new gatehouse and an impressive range of lodgings around the courtyard. The layout of the castle can still be seen but sadly only parts of the curtain wall and towers, stand to any height. In the centre of town is Dockray Hall and 2 miles south-east is Brougham Hall.
Penrith Castle is located in the town centre, off Castlegate. 21 miles south of Carlisle, on the M6-A592.
The site is owned by English Heritage and Castle Park opens daily, Summer 7:30-9:00pm, Winter 7:30-4:30pm.
There are car parks nearby.