NZ 358-588 County Durham England
Hylton Castle was originally an 11th century fortified manor house, founded by Henry Hilton. Between 1374 and 1420, Sir William Hilton founded the stone castle, when adding a four storey keep-gatehouse and a chapel. Adorning the façades of the keep, is a fine display of medieval heraldic shields, with the altered chapel of St Catherine, replacing earlier chapels, which date from 1157. In 18th century, Baron John Hylton and his son, integrated the keep, in their construction of an Italianate style mansion, redesigning the interior, inserted large windows and adding two crenellated wings. A century later, the wings were demolished and the interior and windows altered again, by William Briggs. 9 miles north is Tynemouth Castle and 11 miles south-west is Pockerley Old Hall.