Church of St Lawrence Warkworth
NU 247-062 Northumberland England
The Church of St Lawrence is an early 12th century stone Norman church, which was probably defensible. There are high windows in the original north wall of the nave and the chancel has two stone rib-vaulted roofs. A small doorway and spiral stair rises to a narrow, stepped mural passage, which leads to a chamber above the chancel. A spiral stair in the south-west angle of the early 13th century west tower gives ground floor access to the upper levels. But the small, elevated, external doorway in the south wall of the stair-turret, would give restrict access to the spiral stair, if the lower doorway was blocked. The 13th century vestry had and the late 15th century porch has an upper chamber, the south aisle is late 15th century and the church was restored in the mid 19th century. Unsuccessfully used as a safe refuge in July 1173, when a Scottish attack led by Duncan, earl of Fife assaulted the priests and killed 300 inhabitants. Nearby is Bridge Head Tower.