Cockle Park Tower
NZ 201-911 Northumberland England
Cockle Park Tower is probably an early 16th century stone L-plan tower house, founded by Sir William Ogle. Of three storeys and an attic, a stair-turret projects on the north-east side of the rectangular tower and the ground entrance in the re-entrant angle. This northern side retains a barrel vaulted ground floor, mural chambers, a machicolated parapet and corbelled-out circular bartizans on the angles. The southern block is flanked by a central 17th century stair-turret on the west wall and tree-ring analysis suggests that the roof was replaced in the early 17th century. Only used as a farmhouse in 1648, when garrisoned by Civil War troops, in the 18th century it was converted into two dwellings by a brick partition wall. Now pierced by large Jacobean and Georgian gothic style windows, many of its furnishings and decorations were taken to Bothal Castle, in the 19th century.
Cockle Park Tower is located within the tenant farming unit of Newcastle University, at Cockle Park farm, Hebron. 18 miles north of Newcastle upon Tyne, on the A1.
The site is visible from the road, visits by appointment only, check website for details.
Car parking is by the side of the road.