NU 183-351 Northumberland England
Bamburgh Castle was originally a mid 6th century Anglo-Saxon royal palace, founded by Ida, the first monarch of Bernicia. Built on an impregnable volcanic outcrop, Robert de Mowbray founded an 11th century earth and timber castle on the site. A royal stone castle from the 12th century, the Norman keep encased by its restored curtain wall, towers and gatehouses still dominates the coast. In 1464, during the Wars of the Roses, Richard Neville, earl of Warwick breached the castle walls with massive siege pieces. In the 18th and 19th century, Lord Crewe and then Lord Armstrong extensively reconstructed the ruined castle, leaving little of the earlier fortifications. In St Aidans churchyard is Bamburgh Tower and 6 miles west is Belford Castle.
Bamburgh Castle is located in the village centre, on the headland. 55 miles north of Newcastle upon Tyne on the A1-B1341.
The site is the home of the Armstrong family and is open daily, mid February to October 10:00-5:00pm, Saturday and Sunday November to mid February 11:00-4:30pm. Closed late December to early January, check website for details.
There is a car park.