SK 594-928 Yorkshire England
Tickhill Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Roger de Busli. After the siege in 1102, Robert Bloet, bishop of Lincoln, founded the stone castle, when adding a curtain wall to the massive bailey rampart. Protected by a wide wet ditch and flanking the wall, is an interesting but simple early Norman gatehouse, with the remains of a 15th century barbican. On top of the high motte are the foundations of a 12th century eleven-sided keep, with projecting buttress at the angles. After Civil War slighting, the Hansby family built a large 17th century house, which may incorporate parts of the old hall. 7 miles north-west is Conisbrough Castle and 9 miles south at Worksop is Castle Hill.
Tickhill Castle is located in the village centre, off Castle Gate. 7 miles south of Doncaster, on the A60.
The site is owned by the Duchy of Lancaster and is visible from the road. The castle opens to the public one day a year.
Car parking is by the side of the road.