TA 162-550 Yorkshire England
Skipsea Castle is a mid to late 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Drogo de Beauvriere. Standing on an island in Skipsea Mere and completely encased by a ditch with a counterscarp bank, is the large motte. A possible causeway or inner bailey crossed the mere, to the large crescent shaped bailey, which is strongly defended by an inner and outer ditch and rampart. In the 12th century, William le Gros founded the stone castle, with the motte supporting a shell keep and a gatehouse but sadly only fragments of a wing-wall remain. When Count William de Forz II rebelled against King Henry III in 1221, the castle was ordered to be destroyed and by 1350, part of the bailey was used as pasture for livestock. 7 miles north-west is Burton agnes Manor House and 11 miles north-west at Driffield is Moot Hill.
Skipsea Castle is located at Skipsea Brough, off Beeford Road. 39 miles east of York, on the A166-B1249.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is limited car parking by the castle gate.