Hazlewood Castle Aberford
SE 449-398 Yorkshire England
Hazlewood Castle was originally the Hall of a Thane, founded by Mauger the Vavasour. In 1283 Sir William Vavasour founded the fortified stone manor house, licenced the detached chapel in 1286 and was granted a Royal licence to crenellate in 1290. In the late 15th century, the two cross wings were modernised and in the early 16th century, a three storey crenellated solar tower, with a projecting garderobe turret was added. The house was then absorbed in the construction of an 18th century Georgian country house and sadly none of the surrounding defensive fortifications survived. After being sold to the Carmelite Friars, Hazlewood was a monastery and a retreat from 1971 to 1996. 4 miles north-east is Tadcaster Castle.
Hazlewood Castle is located north-east of Aberford, off Paradise Lane. 12 miles north-east of Leeds, on the A64.
The site is owned by Ashdale Hotels and access is restricted to guests with reservations for an overnight stay, weddings or dining in the restaurant.
There is a car park.