SE 360-511 Yorkshire England
Spofforth Castle was originally an 11th century fortified manor house, founded by William de Percy. In the early 13th century, the Percy family added a stone hall house, of which the undercroft remains, set against a sandstone outcrop. In 1309, King Edward II granted, Henry, Lord Percy of Alnwick, a licence to crenellate and he founded the quadrangle castle. Sadly only the west range remains, of two storeys, with a hall and a chamber block, flanked by a polygonal stair turret. The first floor hall, was modernised in the 15th century and leads directly on to the low eastern platform, which supports the buried remains of the other ranges. 5 miles north is Knaresborough Castle and 6 miles south-west is Harewood Castle.
Spofforth Castle is located in the village centre, off Manor Garth. 6 miles south-east of Harrogate, on the A661.
The site is managed by the Spofforth-with-Stockeld Parish Council and is open daily, April to September 10:00-6:00pm, October to March 10:00-4:00pm.
Car parking is by the side of the road.