HomePage Path
Rougemont Castle Weeton
SE 297-462 Yorkshire England

Rougemont Castle Rougemont Castle is an early medieval earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded by the de Lisles family. The ringwork now stands on a steep north bank, where the River Wharfe turns a right-angle at the confluence with Weeton Beck. Most of an inner platform is missing, undermined by the river but a roughly D-shaped ringwork with a raised interior remains. Encased by a wide ditch and an inner bank, visible masonry in the bank indicates the remains of a wall. The ringwork lies on the south-east corner of a larger D-shaped enclosure, encased by a wide bank and ditch, with the Weeton Beck and the River Wharfe to the south. The western gap in the bank is probably the original entrance and along the beck are the remains of a group of fishponds. Now woodland, the manorial site was abandoned in 1366, when Harewood Castle was built. 8 miles east is Wetherby Castle.


Street Map

Rougemont Castle is located south-east of Weeton, off Gallogate Lane. 11 miles north of Leeds, on the A61-Weeton Lane.

The site is freely accessible in daylight hours, a public footpath passes through the castle from Gallogate Lane.

Car parking is by the side of the road.


Rougemont Castle pictures and large castle map
Rougemont Castle Picture 1Rougemont Castle Picture 2Rougemont Castle Picture 3Castle Map of the Area

|HomePage|Castle Index|UK Map|Scotland|North|Midlands|East Anglia|Wales|South|Search|Wallpaper|Hotel Search|E-Mail|Blog|

Copyright 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved