SE 342-283 Yorkshire England
Rothwell Castle was originally an 11th century timber castle or fortified manor house, founded by Ilbert de Lacy. From the 13th century, it was used as a royal hunting lodge, by the kings of England and was once owned by John of Gaunt. Standing high is a rubble core pillar from a rectangular building, with the buried foundations of a range of buildings nearby. In 1487, the ruinous castle was replaced by a timber framed house, which was sadly dismantled in 1977. By the stream is part of a fine masonry grout of the manorial corn mill, with a sluce gate slot.
Rothwell Castle is located in the village centre, off Wood Lane. 6 miles south-east of Leeds, on the A61.
The site is visible from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.