SE 051 572 Yorkshire England
Barden Tower was originally a Norman hunting lodge, founded by the descendants of Robert de Romille. In the late 15th century, Sir Henry Clifford 'The Shepherd Lord' founded the stone tower house and courtyard fortification. In the 16th century, a kitchen block was added to the west side and between 1657 to 1659, Lady Anne Clifford restored the four storey tower and added the square block, which adjoins the south-east angle. The encasing courtyard wall, was slighted during the Civil War but the gateway arch of the lower gatehouse remains. The upper 16th century gatehouse, with an adjoining chapel, still stands to three storeys. 5 miles south-west is Skipton Castle.
Barden Tower is located north of Barden Scale, off the B6160. 18 miles west of Harrogate, on the A59-B6160.
The site is part of the Bolton Abbey Estate and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a car park.