Sheriff Hutton Castle
SE 652-662 Yorkshire England
Sheriff Hutton Castle is a 14th century stone quadrangular fortress, founded by Lord John Nevill, of Raby. In 1382, King Richard II granted John a licence to enclose with a wall of stone and lime and crenellate, a plot in his own ground. The successor to the earlier ringwork castle, it consisted of ranges of buildings around a central courtyard, with towers of four or five storeys on the angles. In a ruinous condition by 1618, farm buildings now stand in what was outer ward. Entrance to the inner ward, is through an early 15th century four-centred archway, with four heraldic shields of the Nevills, over a first floor window. A poorly aligned gate tower and the south-east tower defend the gateway but sadly of the internal ranges, only cellars and the ground floor, tunnel vaulting of the towers remain. 8 miles north-west is Crayke Castle and 11 miles south is York Castle.
Sheriff Hutton Castle is located in the village centre, off Main Street. 11 miles north of York, on the B1363.
The site is part of Castle Farm and bona fide visitors to the castle are welcome, by prior arrangement. Also there is a public footpath, thats leads to a circular walk around the perimeter of the castle.
Car parking is by the side of the road.