SO 577-200 Herefordshire England
Goodrich Castle is a Norman earth and timber ringwork fortress, founded by the English thegn Godric of Mappestone. In the mid 12th century, Richard 'Strongbow' de Clare, earl of Pembroke founded the stone castle, when adding a square three storey Norman keep. In the 13th century, the keep was encased by a curtain wall, which is flanked by an asymmetrical twin-towered gatehouse and three massive cylindrical angle towers, all with spur buttresses. The castles approach, is defended by a substantial 14th century D-shaped barbican, an impressive rock-cut ditch and a small concentric outer bailey, with the foundations of the stables and a lower curtain wall, flanked by two angle turrets. During the Civil War, Goodrich was held successively by both sides but it was the Royalist Sir Henry Lingen who eventually surrendered the castle in 1646. 5 miles north at Bridstow is Wilton Castle
Goodrich Castle is located north of Goodrich, off the B4229. 22 miles west of Gloucester, on the A40.
The site is owned by English Heritage and is open daily, April to September 10:00-6:00pm, October 10:00-5:00pm, Saturday and Sunday November to March 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.