SO 248-538 Herefordshire England
Huntington Castle is either a late 12th or early 13th century earthwork motte and bailey or an earth and timber ringwork and bailey fortress, founded by William de Braose. In 1228, Reginald de Braoses founded the stone castle when adding a keep and the mound may be its buried remains. Standing against a steep western scarp, the oval inner bailey is encased by a large ditch, together with an outer bank and a rampart which was crowned by a curtain wall. The crescent shaped outer bailey is defended by double scarping to the south and a ditch to the north and east. In 1403, the keep was re-roofed and the gates re-hung, when castle was refortified against an attack by the marauding Owain Glyndwr. The site was probably abandoned by 1460, although in 1561 one tower was habitable and being used as a prison. A high fragment of curtain wall remains on the west side of the inner bailey and the foundations of a southern semi-circular tower have been excavated. To the north on the line of the curtain wall, stands part of the west wall of a tower, in its west face is a garderobe chute and into the east face, steps descend to below ground level. 7 miles south is Clifford Castle.