Northborough Manor House
TF 151-078 Cambridgeshire England
Northborough Manor House was originally a medieval fortified manor house, founded by de la Mare family. Possibly moated, only the stone hall and gatehouse of 1330-40 survive, with early 16th and early 17th century alterations. In 1565, the manor was sold to James Claypole and in 1646, John Claypole married Oliver Cromwell daughter, Elizabeth. In the 17th century the building ranges next to the gatehouse were demolished and stables built from the materials. Sold to Lord Fitzwilliam in 1681, it's still a major example of a medieval stone defensible complex. 6 miles south at Peterborough is Tout Hill.