Thorpe Waterville Castle
TL 022-814 Northamptonshire England
Thorpe Waterville Castle was originally a 12th century fortified manor house, founded by the de Waterville family. In 1301, Walter de Langton, Bishop of Lichfield, founded the stone castle, when he was granted licence to crenellate. Sadly its only vestige is Castle Barn, which was originally a rectangular two-storey hall, with solar and chapel. Now used as a barn, its north gable still retains an unusual octagonal chimney and two circular windows. 2 miles south is Titchmarch Castle and 2 miles north-west is Wadenhoe Castle.
Thorpe Waterville Castle is located in the village centre, off the A605. 17 miles south-west of Peterborough, on the A1139-A605.
The site is visible from a public footpath, which runs past the castle from the A605.
Car parking is by the side of the road.