SP 561-775 Northamptonshire England
Lilbourne Castle is an impressive Norman earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Robert, earl of Leicester. The 11th century motte, encased by its ditch, protects the two small baileys, which are powerfully defended with high ramparts, ditches and counterscarp banks. In 1218, this well preserved timber castle, was ordered to be slighted, by King Henry III. To the west, Hill Ground siege-castle, stands on the high ground of Roundhill and 2 miles north-west is Shawell Castle.
Lilbourne Castle is located in the village centre, off Station Road. 4 miles north-east of Rugby, on the B5414.
The site is visible from the road.
Car parking is by the side of the road.