SK 583-041 Leicestershire England
Leicester Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Hugh de Grentmesnil. Built in the south-west corner of the Roman town of Ratae Corieltavorum, Robert de Beaumont, earl of Leicester, founded the stone castle in 1100-1110, when adding the collegiate chapel of St Mary de Castro. The timber-aisled Great Hall, with its stylish 17th century brick front, was added in the mid 12th century, by Robert le Bossu. In the 14th century, the castle was remodelled, with two new inner bailey gatehouses and the Newarke outer bailey. On the 21st of August 1485, King Richard III, rode out of Leicester, to fight in what became known as the Battle of Bosworth. 4 miles west is Kirby Muxloe Castle and 9 miles south-west is Earl Shilton Castle.
Leicester Castle is located in the city centre, off Castle View. 25 miles south of Nottingham, on the M1-A5460.
The site is owned by Leicester City Council and is freely accessible in daylight hours. Castle Hall and John of Gaunt's Cellar are occasionally open for public tours.
There are car parks nearby.