Baginton Castle Bagots
SP 342-747 Warwickshire England
Baginton Castle is an early 12th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, probably founded by Geoffrey Savage. With a wide ditch defending the landward approach, the flat-topped motte stands against a south to north-western escarpment of the River Sowe. In the 13th and 14th century, three substantial buildings were constructed in the eastern bailey and in the late 14th century, Sir William Bagot added within the motte ditch at its eastern point, a large fortified tower. In 1417 Richard Beauchamp, earl of Warwick purchased the estate and in 1471 it was presented to the Dean and Chapter of St Mary's Collegiate Church in Warwick. When owned by Francis Goodere in 1545 the castle was described as desolate and in 1618 William Bromley discarded the ruined 'old site'. Laid out as pleasure grounds in the 18th century, the castle was levelled and a gazebo build on the southern edge. In 2011 the castle, gazebo and the foundations of the tower, were cleared, excavated and then consolidated. 5 miles south-west is Kenilworth Castle and 5 miles north-east is Caludon Castle.
Baginton Castle is located in the village centre, off Church Road. 3 miles south of Coventry, on the B4113-A45.
The site is leased to the Custodian of Bagots Castle and is open, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays April to October 12:00-5:00pm. Castle open daily by appointment, check website for details.
Car parking is by the side of the road.