SO 946-907 West Midlands England
Dudley Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by William fitz Ansculf. In 1264, Roger de Somery was granted licence to crenellate and he founded the stone castle when encasing the bailey with a curtain wall, flanked by a gatehouse. The motte supports a 14th century two storey keep, its rectangular hall and basement, flanked on the angles by large drum towers. In 1530, John Dudley, duke of Northumberland added an impressive range of lodgings around the courtyard, to make a Renaissance palace. Sadly the castle was slighted after the Civil War and the lodgings were destroyed by a great fire in 1750. 8 miles south-east is Weoley Castle.
Dudley Castle is located in the town centre, off The Broadway. 8 miles north-west of Birmingham, on the A457.
The site is owned by Dudley Zoological Gardens and is open daily, Easter to September 10:00-5:00pm, October to Easter 10:00-4:00pm.
There is a car park.