NY SO 544-868 Shropshire England
Broncroft Castle is a late 14th century stone fortified manor house, founded by Sir Roger Burley. In the Civil War, the castle was garrisoned by the Royalists until 1645 but it was ordered to be slighted in 1648. 'Much demolished' the Lutley family made repaired in the mid to late 17th century. Bought by James Whitaker in 1889 he extensively rebuilt Broncroft adding a two storey range, with various attics, towers and wings. There is evidence of 14th century work in the tower to the right of the main entrance. 2 miles south-west is Corfham Castle and 3 miles north-east is Holdgate Castle.
Copyright © 2000-2014 CastleUK.Net Some Rights Reserved