SO 367-779 Shropshire England
Hopton Castle is probably a late 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Robert 'Picot' de Say. In 1276, Walter de Hopton founded the stone castle when crowning the low motte, with a rectangular three storey tower house, flanked by projecting angle turrets. There is a stair in one turret, double string coursing around the two western turrets, a 16th century attic and fragments of plaster rendering on its outside walls. The inner bailey is lined with the foundations of ranges of buildings, a kitchen and the cellar of a Tudor brick mansion house, encased by a curtain wall, flanked by towers. This low lying castle was also defended by a large 14th century outer bailey platform, marshy ground and wet ditches. In the Civil War, the castle owned by Robert Wallop was a small Parliamentarian stronghold and after the notorious siege of March 1644, when no quarter was given, the devastated castle was abandoned. Half a mile south-east is Warfield Bank.
Hopton Castle is located in the village centre, off the B4385. 12 miles west of Ludlow, on the A4113-B4385.
The site is owned by the Hopton Castle Preservation Trust and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a small car park.