Stydd Hall Yeaveley
SK 172-400 Derbyshire England
Stydd Hall was probably a fortified preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, founded in 1190 by the de Ferrers family. The large moated platform, also supports the remains of the 13th century chapel of St Mary and St John the Baptist. Dissolved in 1540, the north wall with its doorway and three lancet windows, stands to roof height. In the centre of the platform and built on the foundations of the domestic ranges of the preceptory, is a 17th century brick tower house. With a substantial quantity of medieval masonry, in the south wall, the house is mainly Elizabethan or Jacobean in date, with 19th and 20th century alterations. 8 miles west is Alton Castle and 10 miles south is Tutbury Castle.
Stydd Hall is located west of Yeaveley, off Stydd Lane. 14 miles west of Derby, on the A52-A515.
The hall visible from a public footpath, which passes Stydd Hall Farm from the A515. The site is strictly private with no public access, permission must be sought, if you wish to view.
Car parking is by the side of the road.