SK 010-285 Staffordshire England
Chartley Castle was originally a late 11th century earthwork motte and double bailey fortress, founded by the Earls of Chester. Altered into a stone enclosure castle the early 13th century, it was abandoned by 1485 and described as a ruin in 1545. Supported by the motte are the remains of a cylindrical keep, with the inner bailey curtain wall still strongly flanked by two huge half-round towers, a twin-towered gatehouse and an angle tower. A strong counterscarp bank and cross-ditch divides the inner and outer baileys, with another ditch and bank encasing the whole castle. 9 miles south-west is Stafford Castle and 13 miles north-east is Alton Castle.