SJ 404-657 Cheshire England
Chester Castle was originally an earth and timber motte and bailey or a ringwork fortress, founded by William the Conqueror in 1070. Probably only occupying the area of the inner bailey, in the 12th century it was rebuilt in stone and the outer bailey was added. Sadly all that is left of this large and important castle, are fragments of the 12th century inner bailey curtain wall, the Flag Tower and the Agricola Tower, the original inner bailey gateway. After a fire in the 18th century, the remaining medieval buildings and towers were levelled, to make way for a new barrack block and the Assize County Courts, with the car park giving the layout of the outer bailey. From the southern corner of city wall, the castle commands the bridge over the River Dee. 4 miles south-west is Dodleston Castle and 6 miles south is Aldford Castle.
Chester Castle is located in the city centre, off Castle Square. 41 miles south-west of Manchester, in the M56-M53.
The site is managed by Chester City Council and is open daily, 10:00-4:00pm, Sunday 1:00-4:00pm, with guided tours from late April until October.
There are car parks nearby.