TL 539-387 Essex England
Walden Castle is an early 12th century stone keep and bailey fortress and was probably founded by Geoffrey de Mandeville. In 1158, the castle was rendered indefensible by order of King Henry II and the later the manor of Walden passed to the de Bohun family. In 1347, King Edward III granted Humphrey de Bohun a licence to crenellate but to what extent he refortified or rebuilt the castle is not clear. Sadly all the earthworks have been levelled but the lower storeys of a large three storey square keep and forebuilding have survived but only because they were originally enclosed within a low mound. Inside its flint-and-mortar walls are traces of a spiral stair, central pier base and well-shaft. Rubble foundations have also been found in the large bailey, with the surrounding streets giving its layout. 9 miles south-west is Mountfitchet Castle.