TM 084-904 Norfolk England
Buckenham Castle is a Norman stone and timber ringwork and bailey fortress, founded by William de Albini II, in 1145. The successor to Old Buckenham Castle, the massive circular rampart, with its wet ditch, encases the bottom storey, of a circular flint rubble keep, with a cross-wall and a later doorway. To the east, are the faint oval remains of the first bailey and adjacent to the keep, is the original stone gatehouse but it was buried when the rampart was widened, in the 13th century. A new south-western gatehouse and a second bailey were also constructed but sadly all traces of this later bailey, have been lost through ploughing. To the south, is the converted 12th century chapel of St Mary, which may have been used by the castle's inhabitants. In the 1640s, its owner Sir Philip Knyvet, had the castle demolished, possibly by a request of Parliament.
Buckenham Castle is located in the village centre, off Castle Hill Road. 20 miles south-west of Norwich, on the A11-B1077.
The moat is freely accessible in daylight hours and village garage holds the key, to a gate on the bridge.
Car parking is by the side of the road.